Sports betting is among the most popular forms of online gambling. It makes up 30 to 40% of the gambling industry. For many would-be players, the biggest question is, which is the best sport to bet on? Well, there is no such thing as the best game to bet on. What works for one player might not be a favorite for another. Below are some of the popular games that players can bet on.
SoccerWith a following of close to four billion people, soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and also, the most popular amongst bettors. The reason for this is the vast leagues and competitions all year round and the fact that all bookmakers have soccer markets. Another reason for soccer's popularity amongst bettors is that it's an easy game to play. There are simple and straightforward markets, for example, money lines, and goals. Some of the best soccer leagues to bet on include the English Premier League, Major League Soccer (MLS), La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga to mention a few.
CricketThis is not a popular game in the US, but globally, it comes second to football. Besides the cricket video and mobile games, the game has also featured in online gambling. Cricket bettors need to understand how the various cricket bets and odds work beforehand. Some of the best cricket competitions to bet on include international tournaments in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Australia. There are also flagship T20 leagues, including Euro T20 Slam, T20 Blast, Indian Premier League (IPL), and Champions League Twenty20. Please note that not all bookmakers have cricket markets, so players need to be very selective when choosing a sports betting site.
BasketballThis is a popular game in the US and is second to American football only. It is also a favorite to many bettors, especially fans of the game. Just like other games, it's essential to understand the basketball markets, primarily how the odds work. When it comes to the best basketball leagues to bet on, the NBA, of course, leads the pack. There are other competitions, including EuroLeague, NBA G, FIBA, National Basketball League, and EuroCup Basketball, to mention a few. Here again, players have to be selective as not all sportsbooks have basketball betting offers.
American FootballBaseball is popular, but American football remains the most popular game in the US, beating the likes of basketball and soccer. It's also among the most popular sport for US bookmakers to cater to the ever-growing American football betting market. For players who understand the game, betting will be easy. Still, for the newbies, a little research on American football odds, markets, and the leagues will be necessary. The NFL is the most prestigious league and, of course, the best to bet on.
HockeyIn the past, field hockey was the only variant available at most bookmakers. Still, today, ice hockey is also dominating the hockey markets. For hockey enthusiasts, betting on the game is simple. But knowledge about the different types of bets, including the money lines, prop bets, Grand Salami, and totals will also be crucial. Among the best hockey leagues to bet on include the National Hockey League (NHL), Canadian Hockey League, United States Hockey League, and American Hockey League.
The above are the most popular sports that bettors wager on. Part of the reason they are popular is, of course, the many sportsbooks that offer their odds and markets. Other great sports to bet on include motorsports, boxing, MMA, athletics, swimming, baseball, rugby, and volleyball, to mention a few.
Sports and games have a special part in culture. Today, there are hundreds of sports, some global, while others are synonymous with specific regions only. This article rounds up the most popular sports on the planet by following, global audience, competitions, professional leagues, social media presence, TV viewership rights, sponsorships, gender equality, and relevancy, among other dynamics.
1. SoccerWhile it may not be the most popular sport in the US, soccer is the most popular sport globally and has a large following in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America. Here in the US, the MLS competes on a global level, signing some of the best players from top European clubs. The game attracts a following of around 3.5 billion, which is almost half of the world's population. The prestigious leagues, and super-rich football clubs, as well as the highly paid athletes, make it a big deal. There are over 250 million soccer players in leagues spread across 200+ countries.
2. CricketSurprisingly, cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, with a following of 2.2 billion fans. While it is a novel game to the average American, cricket has a huge following in Asia, Australia, and the UK. In Asia, it is a national sport for several highly-populated countries, including India, which has more than a billion people. Just like soccer and other popular games, cricket has also featured in the big-money video gaming industry, and now, we have cricket manager games for all devices, including mobile (Android & iOS ), PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox.
3. BasketballThis is among the most popular sports in the US, and globally, it comes in third. With a global following of 2.2 billion, the game is popular in the US, China, Canada, and the Philippines. It's also gaining popularity in Africa, and Europe. The NBA is the most prestigious basketball league in the world. The average NBA team is valued at around $2 billion, so the likes of Los Angeles Lakers, and Boston Celtics ought to be really high-value establishments. That's how they manage to raise the salaries of top athletes like LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, and the rest of the top athletes.
4. Field HockeyWhile ice hockey and other forms of indoor hockey are increasingly becoming popular, field hockey is still the most popular form of hockey. It boasts a fan base of around 2 billion people and is widely followed in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. The NHL is the most popular and prestigious field hockey league in the world, even though the sport is not popular in the US and North America. The game has also been left behind in terms of TV coverage, but this has been changing recently.
5. TennisClosing the top 5 list of the most popular sports in the world is tennis. While the other sports are team sports, this is the most popular individual sport in the world and attracts a following of around a billion people, followed closely by table tennis, with 900 million fans. There are several prestigious tennis tournaments, but Wimbledon is the most popular, and of course, the most prestigious tennis tournament. US sisters Serena and Venus are among the bigwigs in tennis in the women's category while the likes of Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal dominate the men's division.
The above are the most popular sports on the planet. Volleyball comes in at sixth with 900 million fans, followed by table tennis and baseball with 850 million and 500 million supporters, respectively. Closing the list is American Football with 410 million fans, and Golf with 390 million fans.
Cricket is not as fast as most sports such as basketball or soccer (football) or as physical as rugby and American football. This sport may not have that sat on the edge of your seat effect, but it has a lot of great qualities. Due to the length of the matches which often go on for the whole day, this sport pulls in crowds from all over. It is an excellent sport for all ages. It is considered a family sport because the entire family can spend some quality time there, with fun activities for all members. Kids can have their faces painted and also get to meet their cricket legends. The parents, on the other hand, can enjoy a few cold beers or other beverages of choice and forget about the stress and pressure from the previous week.
Interesting Facts About All Things Cricket
These websites and apps help players get better at sports by providing tips and pointers. They also make it possible for those who are unable to play individual sports due to various disabilities to join in the fun and play with their friends or the online community at large. A lot of these games have a fantasy feature where players can assume the role of a manager and construct a team they think will be invincible. The players can dress up, train, and guide their players however, they see fit. They can have leader boards amongst their friends to see which team performed well. These teams can also go head to head with other teams constructed by other managers. Another feature included is picking a squad, and this squads' ratings will be based on the players' actual performance in real-life matches. Online games are undoubtedly one of the best ways of bringing different people together.